Total Basset Case: A New Arrival : Part 1

Sep 29, 2016

A New Arrival : Part 1

If you follow along with us on social media, you may have noticed that we've had quite the eventful past couple of weeks.
Short story....Little Mister is here!!! (10 weeks early)
Long story...keep reading ;)
I apologize in advance if this is long but I want to make sure I capture all the details that I can recall- especially considering how quickly everything transpired (I apologize if any of this is TMI). 
Thursday September 15th - Mister and I spent the morning at our 30 week appointment.  Everything checked out fine and we were on our way.  The doctor did mention that I was at the point in my pregnancy that if Little Mister really kicked me in the bladder, I may pee my pants.  (I promise this tid bit is important.)  We laughed, said okay and chalked it up to another pregnancy symptom.

Friday September 16th - I had the day off work because I was picking Kait up from the airport, Casey was coming into town as well and our baby shower was the next day.  I spent the morning prepping for house guests and the shower.
That afternoon I headed to the airport to pick Kait up.  On the way home we stopped at Wendy's for a bathroom and Diet Coke break.  I stood up out of my car and (what I thought) peed my pants.  I looked at Kait (and it's a good thing we are besties) and said 'I'm really sorry but I'm peeing my pants.'  We laughed, said okay and went home to change clothes.  I was fully convinced I had peed my pants solely based on what the doctor had said to us.  And also because I was 30 weeks pregnant, it really seemed plausible.  
Later that evening I had some increasing back pain but, again, didn't think too much of it because I was 30 weeks pregnant, I had been on my feet cleaning, running around and working out all day.  
That night the pain kept up and I didn't sleep very well.  That was due in part to the hours I was up googling.  The googling did nothing to ease my mental or physical pain.  Seriously Google access should be revoked from pregnant women.

Saturday September 17th - When we woke up the pain was still there and I had this underlying sense that something just wasn't quite right.  (Keep in mind this was the day of my baby shower...) I laid on the sofa for a while and eventually started watching the clock and could tell the pain was coming in waves about every 10 minutes.  This started to freak me out.  We finally decided to call the on call doctor and just ask some questions.  
I explained to him what was going on and he said 'nothing you are telling me is alarming'.  
Okay, sounds good, Doc!  I must just be pregnant!
Well the pain continued and we made a quick decision to just run to the hospital real quick, get checked out and be back home in time for the shower.  I knew that maybe I would be late for the shower but I would still make it.

Fast forward to about 10am and being checked into triage, getting hooked up to an IV and being checked out.  Now my back pain was getting even worse.  They had the diodes on my belly looking for contractions but were not detecting any.  The doctors finally decided to check me and take some swabs.  Once checked it was determined that I was 1cm dilated.  Not ideal at 30 weeks.  They also determined that I was/had leaked amniotic fluid.   Also, not great at 30 weeks.  Turns out what I thought was peeing my pants was my water breaking.
The first plan of action was to give me a steroid shot to boost Little Mister's lungs in case he were to come early.  The second step was to stop any labor progression that was going on.  The plan for this was that most (very) likely was that I would be transported to a different hospital and would stay there for at least 4 weeks until I was 34 weeks along.  Obviously we would do anything that needed done but this crushed me.  The idea of staying in the hospital that long was terrifying, scary and full of unknowns (plus what would Floyd think?!).  
As time progressed, my back pain continued to get worse and worse.  Mister was timing them and the waves of pain were coming about 7 minutes apart.  This pain was excruciating.  I would not wish it on anyone.
A few hours later, the ambulance was there to transport me.  I've never ridden in ambulance and this was not the most enjoyable first ride.  

I arrived at the second hospital about 3:00pm and was whisked into triage.  At this point I was in so much pain I could barely speak.  The doctors there checked me and I was then 3cm.  They told Mister and I that they would do what they could to stop the labor but there was a good chance that the train was coming down the tracks and we may not be able to stop it.  I was so delirious and in pain I am not even sure that this registered with me.  I just wanted Little Mister safe and for my back pain to go away.
Thankfully within the next little bit I was able to get an epidural.  I was SO excited for my back to stop hurting that the pain and awkwardness of the epidural did not phase me.  About 60 seconds after it was administered I FINALLY had some relief from the back labor.  It was glorious.

The next glorious thing was that a crew of my besties came barreling in the room.  I was SO overjoyed.  I knew they were in town for the shower (which I clearly wasn't making it to/had missed) but I had NO idea they were at the hospital.  
After the day we had already been through, seeing their faces and being able to hug their necks was truly lifesaving.  They even brought me the best gift bag of goodies and treats including my new favorite robe.  
After visiting for a while it was time for me to be checked again.  
At 4:30pm I was checked and I was now 8cm (!!!).  You could say the train was coming down the tracks.  I heard the doctors say his head was really low a few times and they looked at us and said it was go time.  Mister and I looked at each other and said, '9/17/16, we're having a baby!'.  The doctors and pediatrics team fully whisked my room into a delivery room and a warming bed for Little Mister.  
(Side note, I could dedicate a whole post to this but our doctors were BEYOND amazing.)
By 4:50pm it was time to push.  This is where I slightly blacked out but I do remember pushing quite a few times and at 5:09pm Little Mister was here!! 
 To say we were in LOVE, shock, awe, amazement would be the understatement of the of the century.  Up to that point, the whole day had been such a whirlwind, we were in complete shock but our baby was here and healthy.  He was 10 weeks early but he was here and by all accounts, doing quite well.  He APGAR was 9,9 and he came out screaming at 3lbs.56oz and 15.59" long.
We were able to hold him for a few minutes before they took him to the NICU.
After that Mister and I finally had the chance to look at one another and breathe and cry and be even more overjoyed.  

Once the dust settled a little, our families came in and here came my girls AGAIN! Again, I had no idea they were still there along with Kait and Casey.  It was so great to have so many people we loved there with us.  In a way it worked out that our shower was scheduled for the same day because we were able to have so many people around us amidst the absolute craziness.  

I think that's a good stopping point for Part 1.  
Part 2 to follow ;)


Unknown said...

Oh, Sarah .. Your words so beautifully describe the birth of your special little guy! No doubt there were a few moments of uncertainly as he made his way into the world a few weeks early with some serious discomfort, but, thank goodness for epidural right ? And realizing that you are now Mommy and Daddy at the moment of birth is simply a natural high! He is adorable ! Sending love to you, Mister and Floyd !!! ❤️❤️❤️

Anne said...

Wow wow wow!!! What an emotional, yet amazing experience!! I'm so glad he's healthy and your safe!!! Xoxo

JaxVollat said...

Wow! I'm so glad little mister is here and is safe and healthy! Such a terrifying experience - but it sounds like you were in good hands. And incase it water broke too....and yes it does feel like you just peed your pants. Mine broke on my due date - and I still told my husband "I think I just peed my pants". Haha. Can't wait to hear more and see more pictures!! Congrats!!!!!

k8te said...

so excited for you guys, and glad he came out so strong being 10 weeks early! way to go, mama!

Lauren said...

My goodness! I am so glad to hear everyone is doing ok - what a story that is! You guys are troopers. So glad Little Mister is doing ok.

Unknown said...

What an amazing birth story. Thanks for sharing. I'm so glad you had an army of support! Congratulations my dear, you and your family will be in my thoughts. Hugs!

The Lady Okie said...

I saw a pic on Instagram and was like wait, WHAT??? This is so crazy! It's crazy how some babies are just ready to be outside. I am SO glad he's healthy and doing well. What a shock! I'm so glad you had a good experience with the drs and nurses.

Allison said...

Wow Sarah!! 10 weeks early?! He just couldn't wait to meet you! So glad he is here and you're both healthy! Congrats!!!

Caitlin said...

Welcome to the world, Little Mister! Glad to hear that this crazy story has a happy ending!! Wishing you guys the best!

Katlin said...

Hi there! I went to high school with Kait and discovered your blog through hers. I am 16 weeks pregnant and just CRIED reading this (thanks preggo hormones). Thank you so much for sharing your incredible story and all your posts about pregnancy. I have been thinking of you and your little man. Congrats!

Libby said...

So beautifully written, Sarah! So happy Grant is here and doing so well. On a sidenote, it's a great reminder that patients, not just docs, know what's going on. I also thought I was leaking amniotic fluid and was also told by my doc, "it's probably just a little pee pee, Libby." Fast forward a few days, there was no confusion about whether it was pee pee or my water breaking and I delivered at 34 weeks. Was the first parenting lesson I learned: trust my own instincts!

Kait said...

It was the best weekend of my life! Also, the scariest. Bust mostly the best. I am so grateful for the internet for bringing you and Casey into my life. I am grateful for my need for a D.C. post flight (though I think I got a lemonade?) so that we could experience your pee/water breaking in semi private and not in the middle of Trader Joe's. And most of all, I'm grateful to HAVE GOTTEN TO MEET YOUR SWEET ANGEL BABY! I love you guys! XO

Kayla MKOY said...

I am SO thankful you and baby are alright and HEALTHY! I remember seeing it on instagram and gasping! You're a trooper, momma! Go you! He is wonderful and adorable.

Edye Nicole said...

So glad you and your little one are okay!!! Congratulations, momma :)

Erin LFF said...

I am so glad you and little man are doing well. It's crazy how absolutely anything can happen when it comes to pregnancy and childbirth- there's no true way to prepare for it all, but you are handling it with grace and your smile on IG radiates! So happy for you friend and will continue to pray for your little man to grow grow grow!

Anne said...

Oh, what a wild way to be launched into parenthood! Just crazy that you had your 30-week appointment with no indications and then all of a sudden you had a baby! I can imagine that it is taking a ton of processing and working through, but I'm so happy to hear he and you are doing well. And I'm so glad you shared this - some births go to plan, and so many don't, and I think it is SO helpful for other moms-to-be to have this repertoire of experiences to learn from, especially when it is shared in such a positive and thoughtful way. You clearly were so brave and amazing. Hope that sweet mister is home with you soon!

Lisa @ Naptime Chai said...

I'm sooooo behind on blog reading but am so HAPPY for you and your family and relieved that your son is doing well! Childbirth can be such a scary thing and your situation sounds beyond stressful and chaotic! He is adorable and I love seeing the pics on IG!